Creative ways to grow into your best self
Growth starts when you make the decision that you want more, can be more and deserve more in and from your life. Cynthia Occeilli writes about growth “For a seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, its insides come out and everything changes. To someone who doesn’t understand growth, it would look like complete destruction. Do you truly understand the power of growth?
Growth hurts sometimes, we become aware of our patterns, our reactions, ourselves more then we ever knew, more then we ever wanted to know. I get it, I have been there, I am still there. What hurts more is not growing, is staying stuck in our old ways, in holding ourselves back from opportunities and successes. Like Cynthia says, if you don’t understand the process of growth, it can look and feel like the most painful experience.
Here is where we need to change our growth mindset. Growth is in our hands, we choose the words we tell ourselves. If we believe growth is painful it will be, if we believe growth is exciting then we will be given opportunities that excite our souls. To quote another brilliant man Henry Ford gave us these words of wisdom “Whether you think you can or think you can’t- you are right”.
If you don’t mind I will share with you where my growth started. 3 years ago I decided I wasn’t where I wanted to be in life, I knew I wanted more, I knew I could be more and I knew I deserved more. This decision opened my mind, my eyes and ears to an opportunity that appeared so quietly if I hadn’t had been looking would have travelled by softly in the wind. But I was looking, I was ready and I embraced it with open arms. My growth journey started with a single decision to take a risk free leap of faith. Seriously how could I knock back an opportunity like that?
Looking back now, if I didn’t make that decision to grow I would still be the same person I was three years ago. So today I want to share with you the creative ways I learnt to grow & the ways you can make sure you don’t miss another opportunity to grow into your best self;
- Get excited when your feeling stuck. Instead of focusing on the feeling you don’t want like being stuck, focus on being excited for what is coming next. You never know it could be life changing (wink face)
- Surround yourself with people who make you want to grow into a better person. If you want to be a positive success person, find those people & hang out with them, learn from them and model them (in a non creepy way of course)
- Get to personal development events (there are so many out there to choose from). This changed everything for me, being surrounded by like minded people gave me a safe environment to explore that painful growth we spoke about earlier. (Yes one event I spent the 4 out of 5 of the days crying, but I grew more then I ever knew I needed to)
- Dive head first into books, podcasts, documentaries, online courses, retreats and soak up all the self help skills and tools you can get (the woo woo the better if you ask me)
- Learn to be grateful for both the good times and the challenges, tell yourself you are bigger then any challenge you face and soon you will notice you are handling things most people would break over.
- Travel to places that are out of your comfort zone, or even better travel on your own, this might make you feel a little squeamish at first but sometimes you know exactly where you need to be (don’t do anything I would do!)
- Mediate, join a community Kirtan night, estatic dance or healing session to open your mind, to try something you wouldn’t normally try and to grow creatively
How big is the gap between where you are and where you want to be?
Want to work with me? Join ‘Hello Confidence’ 8 weeks to inner confidence coaching program. Starts August 1st 2016. Click here to find out more